“Tech Lead” is a leader of engineers in a team. If there is no team, there is no Tech-Lead.
What is a team?
- Team is a fundamental unit working together towards a defined problem statement.
Who all are part of the team?
- It is a composition of various individuals with skill set needed for the problem, thus making the unit as a whole armed with various powers.
- Different problem statements will require different mix of skill set, typically each skill set being “lead” by a person.
Who are the team leads? Lead dynamics?
- For a team to solve for its objectives, it is critical that all the “leads” for their respective skill sets work together as peers to each other
- Any imbalance or hierarchy in their relative standing in team can lead to skewed result which may hurt the long term survival of the team.
- For instance, too much focus on myopic product decisions can hurt long term engineering output, over optimisation of engineering can lead to minuscule output for end users.
- Team “leads” need to be empathetic and understanding towards other leads, thus collectively making prioritisation decisions.
Signs of a performing team ?
- Proven progress on problem statement
- Steady iteration in direction of problem statement
- Longevity of solutions
- Evolution of problem statement thus allow team evolving into several other problem focused teams.
Signs of under-performing team ?
- Lack of proven output for the problem statement
- Unable to explain how activities are in direction of problem statement
- Class system between leads
- Inability of various skill functions to work with each other
- Inability to grow new team “leads”
- Zero sum behaviour towards other teams
Who is “tech lead” ?
- Tech lead is the leader of the engineering function of a team.
- (S)he is typically reporting manager of the engineers in team.
What all roles a Tech Lead play ?
- Team lead
- Evolutionary Architect